Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Still on the Back Burner


I don't know why I've decided to sleep in my OBAMA t-shirt tonight. I've already made the decision. Although initially I was a little disappointed because I was waiting for some kind of allusion to the DREAM act or to immigration reform somewhere. My ears perked during the education spiel. Especially when he said something about the children of America and I thought it was ever-so appropriate for us DREAMers.

(okay side note: I'm still watching the coverage and Bobby Jindal's bit is kind of painful, the guy sounds like an infomercial).

But I understand the guy already has so much heat against him, mentioning anything in regards to immigration would push buttons and probably launch jeering on national television (oh! and how annoying were the standing/applause interruptions? there were too distracting). And so the whole speech long, I didn't really feel any hope; actually I thought about how grave the whole situation is for everyone right now, for those con papeles, and those of us without: estamos fregados. From the tone and points in his speech, we've got a while before we can feel optimistic that our issues will be addressed. I didn't think health care would come before immigration. I think that's when I realized, "oh we'll be on the back burner for a bit." But then the DREAM act fits right in with the education emphasis. And since Obama's supported it before, its introduction to the senate seems appropriate, although they'll be juggling all this other stuff. I don't know, I don't know. I've got a year and half to wait it out, I tell myself. Then its researching how to blow this popsicle stand and head north to Canada. Or I was thinking of joining the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, ya que no puedo enlistarme en los Peace Corps. Yeesh, you can't even help fellow humans. Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. :) yeah, he was a bit painful and infomercialesque, but it coulda been much worse.

    I was also hoping for something from Obama with regards to the DREAM act but the way the economy is right now, we're the last thing on their minds -_- so we'll keep marching on, until our turn comes up.

    ReplyDelete